Post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking for recommendations on some of the best shower filters on the market?
In this shower filter review, we’ll look at the 3 main types of shower filter available, as well as which ones are most effective and why.
Shower Filter Picks At A Glance:
- UBS Vita Fresh Shower Filter
- Culligan Fixed Filtered Showerhead
- Culligan Hand-Held Filtered Showerhead
- Sprite Chlorine Removing Showerhead
Types of Shower Filter
Shower water generally contains chlorine, chloramines and other pollutants. Long term exposure to these types of contaminants can lead to health issues.
Long term exposure to chlorine, for example, can damage hair and skin, as well as lead to, or exacerbate, respiratory or other health conditions.
Up to 60% of the chlorine our body absorbs on a daily basis can come from showering, so choosing an effective shower filter can significantly reduce the amount of chlorine that hits our bodies (and then gets absorbed by our skin) on a daily basis.
But how do you choose the best shower filter?
Basically, there are three key types of shower filter:
- activated carbon
- and vitamin C shower filters.
You’ll often see brands and models within each type making huge claims at very low costs.
However, both activated carbon shower filters and KDF shower filters have limitations.
Whilst they can reduce free chlorine, neither can appreciably reduce or remove chloramines, sometimes called ‘combined chlorine’, which are now in many municipal water supplies. (Chloramines are most commonly formed when ammonia is added to chlorine to treat drinking water.)
Activated carbon filters were also designed to be used in cold water and become less effective at high temperatures, plus both carbon and KDF filters restrict water flow, which can affect low pressure showers.
What is The Best Shower Filter to Buy for Your Home?
If you want to effectively treat both chloramines and chlorine in your shower water, your best bet is a vitamin-C based water filter for the shower, such as the Vita Fresh Shower Filter featured below.
However, if you’re happy just to treat free chlorine and issues such as scale build up, I’d recommend opting for one of the best selling Culligan or Sprite options.
Recommended Shower Filters
- Uses 100% food grade Vitamin C as a de-chlorinating agent
- Helps improve condition of skin and texture of hair
- Neutralises chlorine and chloramines in your shower water
- Easy to install with both mounted and hand-held shower head designs
- can be used with your existing shower head
- Replaceable cartridge filter life of up to 10,000 liters
- Easy to see when the cartridge filter is empty
- Simple to replace the filter cartridge
The Vita Fresh consistently comes top of the most recommended vitamin C shower filters.
See my review on the UBS Vita Fresh Shower Filter for more information on this filter, including instructions on how to install the filter on your shower.
Please note, most Vitamin C shower filters are made in Korea and Japan, so orders may take some time to arrive. Check the product information for details.Check Latest Price
Product: Culligan Fixed Filtered Showerhead
The Culligan Fixed Filtered Showerhead at a Glance:
- Filter reduces 99% of chlorine
- Reduces scale build up
- 10,000 gallon filter capacity
- Easy to install
- 5 spray settings with massage setting
- NSF Certified with a 5 year warranty.
The Culligan Hand-Held Filtered Showerhead at a Glance:
- Reduces chlorine & scale for softer, cleaner skin and hair
- Filter life of up to 6 months or 10,000 gallons
- Showerhead offers 5 spray settings for added comfort
- Quick & easy replacement with no special tools required
- Comes with a 5 year warranty.
The Sprite Chlorine Removing Showerhead at a Glance:
- Reduces chlorine
- High capacity water filter
- Ultra strong housing
- Guarantees years of trouble free performance
- Reversible filter cartridge that lasts up to 1 year
- easy to install on existing shower head.
*Please note: Shower Head is Not Included*Check Latest Price
The Bottom Line – What is the Best Shower Filter?
If you want to protect your skin from both free and combined chlorine, I recommend using a vitamin C based shower filter such as the popular Vita Fresh Shower Filter.
It’s also worth bearing in mind that for maximum protection and efficiency, since the Vita Fresh water filter for the shower can be installed with your existing shower head, it is also possible to combine the effects of the Vita Fresh with one of the other shower heads above.
This approach would offer the combined advantages of both filter types. Always make sure you check compatibility via individual product details though, before buying.
Interested in filtering your bath tub water? Check out my article on using a bath ball water filter.
More Posts You Might Like: