Post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Vita Fresh Shower Filter at a Glance
The Product: Vita Fresh Shower Filter
Rating: 4.7 stars (out of a possible 5)
Vitamin C filters are considered one of the best options for filtering chlorine and contaminants from your shower water & the Vita Fresh Shower Filter repeatedly comes out top in reviews.
So if you’re looking for an effective shower filter, the Vita Fresh Shower Filter makes a great addition to any bathroom.
In this Vita Fresh shower filter review I’ll uncover the benefits of the Vita Fresh, plus look at why Vitamin C shower filters are generally far more effective than other types of shower filters, such as activated carbon or KDF filters.
Key Benefits of Using a Shower Water Filter
The main reasons for using a filter in your showerhead are these:
- Many municipal water supplies contain artificially added chlorine or chloramine and whilst a small amount of chlorine will likely not do much harm, long term exposure and build-up of chlorine can damage hair and skin, both of which are highly absorbent.
- Chlorine is also re-vaporized in the shower, meaning it can easily be inhaled into the lungs, plus the heat of the water opens your skin pores, allowing the skin to absorb contaminants more easily.
- A huge percentage (up to approximately 60%) of the chlorine that a lot of people absorb on a daily basis can come from showering, so using water filters for showers can definitely be an effective way to reduce your exposure to chlorine and chloramines.
Main Types of Shower Filters Available on the Market
There are many brands of water filters for showers available on the market today – many making considerable claims about their effectiveness.
Generally, however, the common brands of water filters for showers fall into 3 categories:
- Activated carbon shower filters
- KDF shower filters
- Vitamin C shower filters
One of the main problems with both activated carbon filters and KDF shower filters is that the are only really efficient in removing ‘free chlorine’. Free chlorine is chlorine that has not been combined with any other constituents in water.
Both activated carbon and KDF shower filters have little effect on ‘total chlorine’, which is chlorine that has combined with other contaminants and the form that often exists in tap water.
For example, many water suppliers today add ammonia to chlorine, to produce longer lasting water treatment. Carbon shower filters are not effective at removing chloramine or combined chlorine in general. Vitamin C based shower filters however, can effectively neutralise both chlorine and chloramines.
If you are not sure what type of chlorine your household water supply contains, contact your water supplier and ask or try a water test kit.
Vitamin C shower filters such as the best-selling Vita Fresh Shower Filter by UBS, pictured here, are therefore widely considered the most effective option for filtering shower water.
The Vita Fresh shower filters use a tube of ascorbic acid (pure Vitamin C) which interacts with the chlorine and the chloramines and neutralises them. Vitamin C is considered 100% food safe.
The filters continue to work effectively until the vitamin C is used up and since the Vita Fresh shower filter is transparent, it’s simple to identify when it needs a new cartridge.View Latest Price for the Vita Fresh Shower Filter
Watch the UBS INC CO LTD Official Video on the Vita Fresh Shower Filter
Top 10 Benefits of the Vita Fresh Shower Filter
The Vita Fresh Shower Filter:
- neatralises up to 99% of chlorine found in water, while other types of shower filters generally filter out between 20-80%
- removes most chloramines and sediment
- works at any water temperature (many other shower filters don’t work effectively at high temperatures)
- works effectively without impacting on the rate of water flow like some filters
- cartridges have a life of around 2 months, depending on how often you shower
- user can clearly identify when it’s time to replace the filter directly into the transparent body
- Vitamin C as de-chlorinating agent is 100% pharmaceutical food grade
- filter cartridges easy to replace
- features a special natural DOLKI ceramic ball, which makes water molecule smaller and also energises the water to improve hydration
- can help improve the condition of skin and texture of hair and even conditions such as excema, psoriasis or asthma.
Are There Any Negatives to the Vita Fresh Shower Filter?
If you take particularly long showers or shower quite a lot (twice a day, for example), you may find the filter units use up quite quickly (approx 4 weeks depending on usage). This will bump up replacement filter costs..
So if you shower a lot you might find it more economical to buy a Vita Fresh Shower Filter that comes supplied with 5 replacement filters.
The filter parts are also made of plastic, but you’ll find many shower heads and filters are made of plastic parts, rather than metal.
Is the Vita Fresh Shower Filter Easy to Install?
Vita Fresh shower filters are easy to install with both mounted and hand-held showers:
The Manufacturer, UBS, offer a useful infographic guide to installing the Vita Fresh shower filter, which you can find on their website.
Vita Fresh Shower Filter Review – Bottom Line
Both activated carbon shower filters and KDF shower filters have limitations. Neither can appreciably reduce or remove chloramines, which are now in many household water supplies.
The Vita Fresh Vitamin C Shower Filter, however, effectively treats both chloramines and chlorine in your shower water and also works effectively at any temperature, which many other types of filter are unable to do.View Latest Price for the Vita Fresh Shower Filter
Alternatives To The Vita Fresh – 2019 Update
More vitamin c shower filters have arrived on the market since the Vita Fresh, which, to our knowledge, was one of the first vitamin c shower filters available.
For more recent alternatives to the Vita Fresh, here are 2 popular and affordable vitamin c shower filters to choose from:
- Torti Lia 15 Stage Shower Filter with Vitamin C For Hard Water – affordable and easy to install. The filter cartridge contain Vitamin C and KDF-55 and, according to the product details, lasts around 6 months.
- PureAction Vitamin C Shower Filter – another easy to install, affordable multi stage filter.
OTHER POSTS YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- What Is The Best Shower Filter Review: 4 Best Sellers Reviewed
- Water Filters for the Shower: Why You Need a Vitamin C Based Filter
- Bath Ball Water Filters: Your Natural Route To Chlorine Free Baths
The Vita Fresh Shower Filter
The Bottom Line
The Vita Fresh Shower Filter employs vitamin c, which neutralises chlorine and chloramines much more effectively than other shower filters.
Depending on how often you shower, you may need to replace the filter cartridge every month or so, so it’s more economical to buy a filter which comes with a pack of 5 filter cartridge replacements or the cost of filter replacements can add up.
Delivery can also take a while, as filters come from Korea, but it’s easy to install and overall I recommend this as a great addition to your bathroom shower.