Post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
TOP PICKS AT A GLANCE
- Best Affordable Glass Filter: Soma (US) or Dafi (UK)
- Best Alkaline Glass Filter Pitcher: Dafi Alkaline Pitcher
- Largest Capacity Glass Filter: Zero Water Dispenser
- Best Glass Water Filter Bottle: Black + Blum
Despite assurances from many brands that their plastic products are BPA free, recent research suggests even BPA free plastic may still leach chemicals of concern.
So, choosing a glass water filter jug (or bottle) avoids the whole ‘plastic’ debate altogether.
Finding a glass water filter jug, however, is more challenging than the common plastic ones, but they do exist.
The popular filter brand, Brita, did produce a Brita Edition Glass Water Filter Jug, but it’s currently difficult to get.
So to follow you’ll find 7 alternative glass options to choose from.
Glass Water Filter Pitcher Jugs, Bottles & Carafes – 7 BPA Options
Made from high quality, shatter proof glass, the Dafi Alkaline UP Water Filter reduces common contaminants such as chlorine, odours and heavy metals. The key difference with this filter though is that it also increases the pH of tap water up to 9.5, as well as the negative Oxidation-Reduction Potential (ORP) up to -200 mV.
In everyday terms, what this means is that the filter makes the water more alkaline and increases its antioxidant potential. Both of these factors are believed to play a crucial role in aiding good health, by helping the body to balance pH levels, as well as detoxify. You can view more alkaline pitchers here.
Key benefits of the Dafi Alkaline Up Crystal Glass Pitcher are:
- pitcher is made from high quality borosilicate glass (lid and inner funnel are BPA free plastic)
- holds 8 cups total capacity
- filters contaminants such as chlorine, some heavy metals, pesticides, herbicides and organic pollutants from the water
- filter increases water pH level up to 9.5, making it more alkaline
- filter increases the negative ORP potential of he water (i.e. makes water antioxidant, which has de-toxifying properties beneficial to health)
- filter lasts 30-45 days (40 gallons)
- adds essential minerals into the water
The idea behind the Kor Water Fall (apart from filtered water of course!) is that whilst filter jugs or pitchers are great, they also limit how much water you can filter at a time.
So by using the Kor Water Fall, you can essentially filter water into as many carafes as you want. You can also use different carafes for different options – such as one containing water infused with lemons (or fruit of choice).
A Kor Water Fall set includes Water Fall stand, 1 filter & 2 glass carafes with lids.
Key benefits of the Kor Water Fall Glass Water Filter Carafe are:
- filter is made from natural coconut shells
- filter lasts around 4 months, (twice as long as typical jug/pitcher filters)
- certified to NSF 42 standard to remove chlorine, chloramines, bad taste and odors found in tap water
- comes complete with 2 glass carafes
- more stylish design than typical pitcher or jug filters
- option to use water from one carafe, whilst you filter water into a 2nd carafe
- plastic components are BPA-free.
3 – PearlCo Glass Water Filter Jug (UK Only)
The PearlCo Glass Water Filter Jug is made from high quality SIMAX® borosilicate glass, although the product does contain some plastic components.
The LED exchange indicator with an integrated motion sensor shows the status of the filter, when the pot is lifted, plus the water filling opening is closed by a handy automatic door.
Featuring a nice, modern, clean design, the PearlCo water filter also features a non-slip design of the base plate, which offers a secure, stable stand.
Key benefits of a PearlCo glass water filter jug are:
- capacity of 2 litres (1 litres of filtered water)
- includes an LED filter exchange indicator
- reduces carbonate hardness & limescale
- reduces chlorine, as well as pollutants such as copper & lead
- includes 7 filter cartridges (filters approx 700 litres of water in total).
Another affordable glass filter jug that has more recently become available is the Dafi Glass Filter Jug.
Key benefits of the Soma Sustainable Carafe & Plant Based Water Filter are:
- carafe is made of shatter-resistant glass
- filters are made of natural plant based materials
- filter lasts for around 40 gallons (approx 2 months)
- lid door opens automatically for easy filling
- glass, cone, and lid are dishwasher-safe
- meets the NSF/ANSI Standard 42 requirements for the reduction of chlorine, taste and odor.
If you drink a lot of water or have a large family, traditional water filter pitchers can be frustrating, as they generally only hold up to around 2 litres or so. This is where the ZeroWater glass filter can really help, as it holds a capacity of 40 cups.
Key features include:
- glass tank with a 40 cup capacity and ‘no drip’ spigot
- 5-stage water filtration using Ion Exchange Technology.
- NSF certified to reduce lead and other heavy metals, chlorine, pesticides, herbicides & other contaminants.
Keep in mind the spigot is made from plastic, but it’s easy to replace with a metal one if you prefer. The filter housing inside the glass tank is also plastic, but it’s listed as BPA free.\
Although not a traditional style water jug, the Black + Blum water filter bottle makes a great option for ‘on the go’. Made of glass, it employs the use of Binchotan charcoal – an ancient Japanese filtering system used to filter tap water naturally since the 17th century.
Key benefits of a Black +Blum Filter Water Bottle are:
- absorbs impurities, such as chlorine, by attracting the negative ions to its surface
- in exchange, the charcoal sends its nutrients (calcium, iron and magnesium) back into the water
- balances the pH
- uses active carbon made from tree branches
- comes with a binchotan active charcoal filter, which lasts for around 3 months.
7 – Homemade Charcoal Glass Water Filter
Another option is to make your own charcoal water filter using a glass jug or glass water bottle.
Making your own charcoal water filter is remarkably easy to do. All you need is a glass carafe, jug or bottle with a lid and a stick of Binchotan charcoal – both of which are readily available online.
To make a homemade charcoal water filter:
- Purchase a stick of Binchotan charcoal
- Boil the Binchotan charcoal for 10 minutes in a saucepan
- Put to one side to cool
- Place the Binchotan stick in a glass carafe or jug containing tap water and leave to sit for around 4-8 hours, or overnight, to allow it to absorb contaminants and mineralise the water.
View A Range Of Glass Water Carafes.
View Prices For Activated Charcoal
If you are interested in finding out more about Binchotan charcoal, check out my post on Binchotan charcoal water filters.
Glass Water Filter Jugs – Bottom Line
More and more people today are seeking to make their homes as ‘plastic free’ as possible.
A glass water filter jug can be harder to source than the more commonly used plastic ones, but they offer a great option for those who want to filter their drinking water cost effectively, whilst cutting down on plastic parts.
Want to see my Number ONE recommended filter? Click here.